Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hunua Falls

It was a nice day on Wednesday, so I decided to go for a day hike to break in my new pair of tramping boots. I decided to go out to the Hunua Falls Regional Park. The park is about 40 minutes southeast of Auckland. In particular, I went directly to Hunua falls to start my trek, and continued on the Massey and Cossey tracks.




The first part of the trail was kept up extremely well and was for the most part easy to hike.

The tricky bit was when the elevation changed. And about 45 minutes into the hike, the elevation changed dramatically. I thought my lungs were going to burst. The only thing that makes you feel better about ascending a steep, enduring incline, is knowing that you will eventually have to come down the other side thus giving your legs a bit of a break.

Hunua Falls was great. You can get up close and almost underneath the cascading water.




I also hiked up to the top of the falls area, but was unable to get down to the brink. This is a view looking down at the falls from a higher elevation.
It was a great hike! I spend about 5 hours wandering through the woods, and the boots broke in just fine. I am looking forward to my next hike.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is supposed to be late fall and it looks almost tropical everywhere you go. (New Zealand seems pretty awesome.) All that soccer conditioning must have paid off for the 5 hour hike.

And these boots cost more than the car? :)