Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cascade Kauri Park

Well, it may seem redundant, but it was another great day for a walk. I am taking full advantage of the New Zealand trails, and at this point I can't get enough.

I went down to Cascade Kauri Park within the Waitakere Ranges west of Auckland. Three trails begin in the park: the Auckland City Walk, Cascade Falls Track, and the Montana Heritage Track. I decided to walk the Montana Heritage Track which was a loop through the park. However, before I began the trek, I was greeted by this formidable fellow. He is the spirit of the Waitakere Ranges and oversees the forest. I wanted to take him home for our living room!




The trail started off as usual, up an incredibly steep incline; however, the direction I decided to take to start the loop was kept up extremely well. Wooden steps through the kuari groves made it slightly easier on the legs.

The backside of the trail was less rugged and harsh. It was almost to the point of being a paved running trail or something like that. That leg of the trail led me to a reservoir dam that you could walk across. I explored the base of the dam as well. It was pretty cool!

It was a bit rough on the last leg of the trail descending back to the car park. The terrain was steep and laced with exposed roots. A nightmare for weak ankled nancy boys such as myself. However, I made it through just fine, and found out that the best part walk was at the very end of the trail that connected to the Auckland City Walk I mentioned previously.



This stream began at the Cascade Falls which I was able to explore for a bit. If it wasn't as cold as it was, I would have taken a dip in the lagoon at the base of the falls. I walked the rest of the Auckland City Walk back to the car and headed home.


Another great hike!

No comments: